Here’s a delicious recipe from a loyal customer! Thanks, Jamie…can’t wait to try it. You can add chopped peppers, mushrooms or other vegetables to the mix to suit your tastes.
The stuffing freezes by itself nicely – you can make this ahead.
- 4 Acorn Squash, halved, seeded and roasted (or steamed in microwave)
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 20 oz Ground Turkey (93% fat free or substitute with turkey sausage)
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme (or add to taste)
- 1/2 tsp ground sage (or add to taste)
- 1/2 tsp fennel seed (or add to taste)
- 2 apples, chopped into 1/2" cubes
- 5 oz Mrs. G’s Jalapeno Garlic Lime jelly (to taste)
- Grated parmesan cheese
Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Prepare the squash – cut in half, scoop out the seeds. Coat with olive oil and roast in a 350F degree oven for 40 minutes (or until fork tender). If you roast the squash face-up, place a small amount of Mrs. G’s jelly inside the cavity to soak into the squash while cooking. Alternately, steam the squash in the microwave (place seeded halves into a pan with a small amount of water, cover and cook on high 10-15 minutes, until fork tender).
- Pre-cook quinoa according to directions. Set aside.
- Heat oil in large skillet. Add turkey and seasonings. Cook until brown. Remove from pan and keep warm.
- Add onion and garlic. Sauté until translucent. Add apples and continue cooking until tender. Return turkey to pan.
- Stir in jelly and cook until the jelly has liquified.
- Add quinoa and mix thoroughly.
- Stuff firmly into cooked squash halves.
- Top with grated parmesan cheese.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until cheese has melted.